This post will be a work in progress. There are just too many stories. I’m hoping to eventually have a travel quotes and stories series with other contributors.
I think the reason (aside from money and time) people don’t travel with family or kids is because of fear. I’ve heard it time and time again from friends.
“I don’t know how you guys do it – traveling with kids is so hard!”
“I’m afraid to fly on a long haul flight with kids.”
“Travel planning is a lot of work. Is it worth it?”
I’m here to tell you it’s true. It is hard. There are times when we’ve questioned if it was worth the effort or the hassle of being exhausted, hauling bags around a city when we were too cheap to get a cab, the extra time it takes to plan, the hassle of getting adjusted to a new time zone, the frustrations of a baby crying or adjusting to a new sleeping environment, kids waking super early, the list goes on…
In those moments, it doesn’t feel worth it. We ask ourselves what we were thinking. We look at each other in frustration and sometimes fight.
But guess what, a day or two into the trip or halfway through or even after we return and readjust, we always feel like it was worth it. Looking back, Seth and I and now, our kids, always talk about the awesome trips we’ve taken. When our kids name off the best times they’ve had and recall their favorite moments, all of our trips and experiences in other places rank the highest.
So with all that to say, please enjoy this ongoing list of some of our biggest fails, travel quotes, and ridiculous travel stories. We hope it gives you a laugh and makes you feel like you’re not alone in your travel struggles. Sit back with a glass of wine or a cuppa, commiserate with us and then, go for it – book your next trip.
- The one with the flu on the transatlantic flight
- The one with a 4-year-old Felix petting the pet python at our housesit in Cornwall, UK.
- The one with the 33-week pregnant lady after 30+ hours of flying New Zealand to Germany
- The one with the google translate furniture purchasing conversation in Germany
- The one with an extremely pregnant Katie crying at the help desk in the Toronto airport
- The one with a crazy Kea bird attacking our car on the way to Milford Sound, New Zealand
- The one with 3-year-old Juniper wearing her bathing suit to nursery in New Zealand
- The one with the accidental fanciest hotel in all of Guangzhou, China
- The one with two shouty parents road tripping through Isle of Skye, Scotland while listening to “Scream Free Parenting” on audiobook
- The one with camping on a block of ice
- The one with the frozen chili that never ended
- The one with the best repeatable travel quotes including “MONSTA TRUCKS!”
- The one with the bird in our bach in Papamoa Beach, New Zealand
- The one with the sandflies attacking in Haast, New Zealand
- The one with the world’s best dumplings at 5:30 am in Guangzhou, China
Disclaimer: Please note that this post contains some affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products that I love. If you enjoy the website and would like to support it, please click through my links to purchase. If you have any questions, please e-mail me.